Every once in a while a wind will blow in and totally throw you for a loop.
That happened to me about 10 days ago. Hubby came home and asked "So how does the United Arab Emirates sound?"
Not totally thinking he was serious, I said "interesting".
First I must say, we had talked about moving... we want to downsize our house. It is just way to big for us. With a son who is 19 and getting ready to go into the Army, it will seem huge.
We had talked about moving into a condo (locally) or moving to another state here in the US.
However, nothing prepared me for the roller coasted ride that I have embarked upon.
Last Friday, he had an interview with the gentleman who is the "regional Director" (or something like that). That interview went extremely well. Since hubby comes highly recommended for this project, it seems like this was just a formality. Monday he had a call from someone state side (I forget how he is connected- I think upper management). Yesterday he had a visit from the head of security for his company. This gentleman told him that he had heard it was a "done deal" and was there to offer assistance in any way he needed it.
So the long and short of it is this... Early next year we will be moving to Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates.
At this point I have only told the important people in my life. This move went over like a lead balloon with my Dad and Step-Mom. My sister, I think is a bit apprehensive for me. My best friend is in shock and my other 2 good friends are... well 1 is excited and the other is mad at me. When I told my boss at work, he was like... "Oh Wow", My assistant manager is excited since her husband is from Egypt. They are going to Egypt for 3 weeks in April and, and she said she will definitely come visit me since his uncle lives in Abu Dhabi.
Being a planner I have already joined many expatriate forums and groups on-line. I need to know what I am in for.
To be honest with you, I am looking forward to this. I love adventure, and this is certainly that.
So what do I feel the biggest challenges will be for me?
- Making new friends. I am an introvert at heart. It takes me a while to get to know people and become comfortable with them. (I think this move will be good for me. I will definately be out of my comfort zone and be forced to make changes I otherwise would not).
- Food. I am a Pizza, Chocolate and Beer kind of girl. Since in UAE, you are not allowed to have alcohol in your home without a license, this is going to be hard yet good for me. I am also apprehensive about trying new foods, e.g. we have a restaurant here in town that is an English cooking restaurant... I still have not tried the steak and Kidney pie... The steak sounds good... the kidney... well...
- Medical care. I have an awesome Doctor here state side, finding a new one will be dificult to say the least.
- We have decided to liquidated the whole house... Yep, that means sell everything except for the "special things". Then sell the house. (All of this will need to be accomplished by mid January at the latest.)
- My son... While he has lost significant amounts of weight, he still has not reached his goal yet. Ideally by the time I move over to UAE, he will be in boot camp. If he makes his weight goal... If not, then he will need to find an apartment, or a room to rent.